Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

30 days hath my visit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames1229

PostPosted: Apr Wed 09, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: 30 days hath my visit Reply with quote

30 days away... Anyone else (but me) excited?

And about 37 days away from another one of these...
stan_allen

PostPosted: Apr Wed 09, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Hear ye, hear ye Reply with quote

Always happy to join in the unique anticipation of a Reno trip, even if it ain't mine...will this be another bowling-centric visit, or will you go all-play-and-no-work, for a change?
mjames1229

PostPosted: Apr Wed 09, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hear ye, hear ye Reply with quote

stan_allen wrote:
Always happy to join in the unique anticipation of a Reno trip, even if it ain't mine...will this be another bowling-centric visit, or will you go all-play-and-no-work, for a change?

Bowling-centric.

Even more bowling-centricker than recent trips. My favorite wife is not coming along this year and I am not sandwiching Reno in between stops in Las Vegas, either.

I arrive around Noon on May 9, bowl a practice session at 2:30 and then relax for the rest of the day.

May 10 I take a private bowling lesson at 2:00 and bowl the main tournament at 7:30.

May 11 I bowl a side tournamnt at 11:00 AM, possibly another side tournament after that, then more of the main tournament at 11:00 PM.

May 12 I leave around Noon.

But I still can't wait to be back in Reno.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Wed 09, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Hoping you "Strike" it rich Reply with quote

Mjames, we await with bated breath, the details of your upcoming trip. If possible, could you include in you trip report, some pics of the National Bowling Stadium's interior? Many of us who don't partake are nonetheless curious about the inside of that gianormous structure.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a longview of the tournament lanes themselves, but there are many, many things to see.

Just last year, with part of the $2/night room tax, they added a second set of bowling lanes for practice sessions, team lessons and some minor side tournaments. See those alley balls on the rack? Those are just for the cheesecake shots. None of the 92 lanes are for the general public.

There is a gift shop that runs the entire length of the concourse. All of the bowling manufacturers are there displaying the newest equipment and merchandise, as well as your standard "Grandpa went to Reno and all I got was this stupid T-shirt" items.

One of the other results of the recent remodeling is the satellite Hall of Fame, which includes many plaques of inducted male and female bowlers, along with historical memorabilia and other doo-dads.

I will make sure I take a number of other interior photos and include them in the inevitable trip report.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Thank MJames Reply with quote

Looks like an awesome facility. Thanks for posting the links. Looking forward to your report. Good luck!
stan_allen

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Homer: "ooh, they have the Internet on computers now!&q Reply with quote

It just occurred to me that I haven't been in a bowling alley for so long that I completely missed the computerization of the scoring process - I still envisioned having an overhead projector that displayed what people were writing on those sheets of paper to track the game's progress - which must be a communications method that's now out of date by a good decade or two!

Boy, the times are just passing a no-longer-young-man by...
remano

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is a gift shop that runs the entire length of the concourse. All of the bowling manufacturers are there displaying the newest equipment and merchandise, as well as your standard "Grandpa went to Reno and all I got was this stupid T-shirt" items. "

The most recent variation of this I've seen in Reno is a T-shirt that says "Bowling -- the original "X" game" with the "X" graphic looking like a strike symbol on a score sheet. Maybe this has been around for a while but I'm not a bowler so it's new to me.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Apr Thu 10, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Homer: "ooh, they have the Internet on computers no Reply with quote

stan_allen wrote:
It just occurred to me that I haven't been in a bowling alley for so long that I completely missed the computerization of the scoring process - I still envisioned having an overhead projector that displayed what people were writing on those sheets of paper to track the game's progress - which must be a communications method that's now out of date by a good decade or two!

Boy, the times are just passing a no-longer-young-man by...

At the National tournament, they never used overhead projectors. Watch this clip from 1953 (scoring was still manual, just done differently). Don't worry, you only have to watch about 20 seconds of the video to see what I mean.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Apr Fri 11, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Radio Free Bowling Reply with quote

20 whole seconds?! That's a lifetime, in our current on-demand era!

But wow, it's certainly a different world. And you've gotta love that '50's-era voice narration - they sure had style back then!
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Mon 05, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 more sleeps....
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: May Mon 05, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Anticipation... Reply with quote

Wow, that's nice. Sleep well, 'cause you won't get as much while your there!
Wolfdog

PostPosted: May Wed 07, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: 30 days hath my visit Reply with quote

mjames1229 wrote:
30 days away... Anyone else (but me) excited?

And about 37 days away from another one of these...

Well, I ain't Vegas excited, but I'm certainly looking forward to next week, as well. No bowling for me. Too much like work. Cool
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: May Wed 07, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Andy Variwhat? Reply with quote

mjames, while looking at your video link, I noticed something nearly impossible. Some guy named Andy Varipapa did a few bowling trick shots that are a little hard to believe. Did this guy ever miss?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: