Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downtown Miscellany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
remano

PostPosted: Feb Thu 12, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Downtown Miscellany Reply with quote

Remodeling has already begun at the King’s Inn (already – as in after 30 years). The sidewalk and street in front of the building are closed off, construction equipment is moving in, the boards are off the windows and several large dumpsters are out front being filled with debris. RGJ had an article about it here http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/02/11/developers-begin-remodeling-kings-inn-bring-life-reno/23266853/ and their online edition also includes some videos. I just hope it draws solid tenants and not a lot of transients from the weeklies.

Meanwhile, Siegel Group doesn’t seem to be doing much with most of its Reno properties except the El Cortez, and even that project has hit a snag. The building in on the historic registry and some preservationists have complained that Siegel did not get a necessary permit before beginning to install energy efficient double pane windows in place of the old ones. Here’s more on that issue: http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/02/11/reno-el-cortez-hotel-remodel-delayed-historical-register-reasons/23198217/

On the other side of Virginia Street a long stalled project to build a non-smoking non-gaming Courtyard by Marriott hotel across E. 2nd St. from the ball park is back under way. This was reported a while ago. http://www.rgj.com/story/money/business/2015/02/05/new-hotel-set-downtown-reno/22945643/

Also in the news recently was a report that the Ascuaga’s Nugget sign in Sparks has been replace by a new one that deletes the Ascuaga name and just reads “Nugget.” The report also includes some comments by the new owner describing anticipated and already accomplished upgrades. The plan is to invest about $50 million in improvements, more than double the cost they paid for the entire operation. http://www.rgj.com/story/money/gaming/2015/02/10/sign-times-ascuaga-name-gone-sparks/23166711/

Other miscellaneous observations:

“The Shelter,” to bowling alley/bar/restaurant set for the basement seems to be moving along. There is a lit sign in front, work crews on site, a new front entry. What you can see through the entry still looks pretty raw but I would expect that would be the last thing to be finished – no need for an entry until there is something to enter into.

50 S. Virginia (old post office) has shown more activity lately but still no word on specific occupants. The developer (Bernie Carter) is also building the Sticks development 5 or so blocks farther south in the Midtown area. There are 3 or 4 occupants, all restaurants so far, 2 or 3 vacant spaces and two more buildings just started to go up. Build it and they will come.

A new restaurant called “Suite 103” is set to open at 50 N. Sierra St. on the sidewalk level of the Palladio Building. The location never had much success as JB Mapes Bistro, hopefully this one will have more luck. From the menu posted on the window it looks to be a Moroccan or Middle Eastern theme offering no beef but Moroccan chicken w/ hummus, sautéed tofu, lamb shank and chermoula marinated monkfish. Main courses are $18 to $25, sides around $7. It looked like there was a lot of final touch up and clean up to do, but another sign offered a Valentine’s Day dinner so they must expect to be open this weekend.

Hope you found some of this interesting, though admittedly not as entertaining as JSR1968's TR.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb Thu 12, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the update Remano Reply with quote

Your updates are always appreciated Remano. It's hard to imagine the Kings Inn being anything but a closed old derelict. I'll keep my fingers crossed. My mother used to play slots there back in the late 70's and early 80's.

To me, at least, it's a sad state of affairs when people have to get a permit from some other people to improve a buildings insulation (the double paned windows scandal at the El Cortez).

Sad to hear the Ascuaga name has been taken down from the Nugget he pioneered and built into the beautiful resort it is today. Sounds like the new owner(s) are planning on looking after it though. I never was sure I was pronouncing Ascuaga correctly. I wasn't to sure on the spelling either - I copied and pasted it from your post. Thanks!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb Fri 13, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: John's name Reply with quote

Dave, the intention from the time of the Nugget sale was to remove John Ascuaga's name from the property. A while back, they asked me to remove it from the Street Vibrations pages of Roadshows' website. Their own website is a mixed bag. You can find it referred to as "Nugget", "JANugget" and "John Ascuaga's Nugget", depending on where you look. I don't know if they'll change the domain name from janugget.com.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Feb Fri 13, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reno Rocks! Just check out the old quarry... Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, Remano! Your reporting and journalism skills are unparalleled on this board...well, with the possible exception of JD, who seems to have a link for every possible development...and of course, our local hero, John, who keeps a keen eye on the pulse of the place, with the perspective that only a true local can provide....and well, gee, BCDave, who keeps the communication channels flowing, the hilarious avatars fresh, and the overall content management clean and sparkling...

Oh, heck, the whole board rocks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: