Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 28 to May 31 at the Sands
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames1229

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooty wrote:
First off, thanks for the TR. I just worked out my own trip to Reno for the first three nights AFTER HAN (thank god). I like Reno empty, which is how I think those days should be. Should be at Sands Regency too. Stayed there for the first time in late February, I thought it was decent enough.

A couple responses:

That Awful Awful looks terrible. The one at the downtown Nugget is so much more appetizing than that one. Lettuce? Tomato?

Other AAs from the Sparks Nugget have looked better, but the bun is soft as a pillow, and I like the secret sauce better.

Shooty wrote:
The UNR Awful Awful you remember was probably served at the Wolf's Den. The place was closed last year after serving underage drinkers.

That was the place. I had a restaurant.com certificate for that place and when I saw the AA on the menu, I had to try it. That was at least 10 years ago, no recall at all about how I liked it.

Shooty wrote:
Love the motel sign pics. Apparently two hotels across Virginia from Circus Circus, the Heart O Town and the Golden West, are about to be demolished. The mind boggles about the decades of depravity within those walls.

This isn't a political statement, but more of a logical one. There is still discussion about rehabbing those two motels into low-income housing, yet that's kind of what a seedy motel is. I am positive that (when they were open) I could have gotten a monthly rate at those places for far less than my college-aged son's current rent. It just doesn't make sense. Why would you want low-income housing in an area that is struggling with panhandlers driving away the tourists that are already considering avoiding downtown?

I don't know if the market could bear it, but a project like the Montage (that took over the Flamingo Hilton/Golden Phoenix property) would at least draw those that like downtown living and have the means to travel for groceries, entertainment, etc. That area of Reno just doesn't need more people who are barely scraping to get by.

I know that from other reading, there are many other of these types of motels further south on Virginia St (as well as in other areas) that may be more conducive to turning into low income housing.

Bulldoze the Heart O Town and Golden West and make them into a grocery store to serve the neighborhood.

Shooty wrote:
I don't understand how you wound up settling for a parking spot at Circus Circus when the lot at Atlantis was packed.

I was being facetious. I parked a long way away... very close to the corner of Virginia and Moana.
Shooty

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames1229 wrote:
Bulldoze the Heart O Town and Golden West and make them into a grocery store to serve the neighborhood.
That would be quite the irony, since a lot of us remember that the Silver Legacy now sits on the site of what was a pretty decent grocery store, JJ's Food Company.

Replete with half-racks of Old Milwaukee for $4.29, and big jugs of Black Velvet for just $12.49!

mjames1229

PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some handsome bastard compared recent Vegas and Reno trips on Vegas Bright this week.

Some eagle-eyed forum member will recognize a photo that was re-purposed....
stan_allen

PostPosted: Aug Fri 12, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Well played... Reply with quote

Nicely done; thanks! This is a comparison well worth making, and your usual deft touch has done the topic rare justice.

Of course, Reno still comes out ahead in the end, at least for me, but that's the way us Reno fans roll...
CaSwede

PostPosted: Aug Fri 19, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: late to comment Reply with quote

""How Does A Weekend In Reno Compare To A Weekend In Las Vegas?""

Wynn vs. Sands ? I have stayed at both places and com'on man that is not a very fair choice or comparison. Sands comes out way ahead in the observation of "clientele comparisons". I have come in contact with some real gems of people at the Sands. Wynn? Most people walking around with their nose in the air to prove they are superior people.

I don't think I commented on your trip report, but it was great. Thanks for the full report. You sure do a great job with your trip reports. I read your report while I was starting hour #2 waiting for a doctor's appointment.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Aug Sat 20, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: late to comment Reply with quote

CaSwede wrote:
""How Does A Weekend In Reno Compare To A Weekend In Las Vegas?""

Wynn vs. Sands ? I have stayed at both places and com'on man that is not a very fair choice or comparison.

That was the joke. When it comes to hotels, restaurants and entertainment, there is no comparison.

CaSwede wrote:
I don't think I commented on your trip report, but it was great. Thanks for the full report. You sure do a great job with your trip reports. I read your report while I was starting hour #2 waiting for a doctor's appointment.

Thank you. I really enjoy writing long form. You'd be amazed how often I read them. They become personal journal entries for me.

My Vegas Bright article this week is kind of a review of my April 2009 trip to Las Vegas. I was blanking on some details so I found my trip report from that trip and it filled in all the blanks.

Let's hope my wife wants to bowl the Women's tournament in Reno in 2018. If not, I won't be back until the next Men's tournament in 2020.
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Aug Sun 21, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames1229 wrote:
Some handsome bastard compared recent Vegas and Reno trips on Vegas Bright this week.

Some eagle-eyed forum member will recognize a photo that was re-purposed....

FYI Men Wielding Fire moved to 1537 S. Virginia st.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crappy motels on Virginia St are finally coming down. The city is making such a big deal about this, I am a little excited about the possibilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: