Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spa Suites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stacey

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Spa Suites Reply with quote

My husband and I like to get away, and Reno being under 2 hours away, is a frequent spot for us. We usually have the kids with us, and have to come to the big city for supplies. So it is a treat for us to be alone. (Usually happens 1-2 times a year.)

On these special alone trips, we like to gamble, roulette and slots mostly. But what we really like is a big tub to relax in. Maybe catch an in-room movie or two, as we have no theatres near us. We're average folk, (and despite what you may conclude after reading further, I am not a PRINCESS!) but when we have special times alone, we are looking to feel a little pampered and luxurious. A NICE room, get it?

We used to go to the Atlantis quite a bit, but honestly I got sick of their poor maintenance and Juan at the front desk seemed to not care too much if things were wrong with our accomodations. They did have one big mother of a jacuzzi tub though, just didn't feel too luxurious soaking in it looking at the tacky parrot curtains.

So on we moved... and took our gambling loyalties to the El Dorado. We found a spa suite that fit our requirements and there we stayed. But honestly, after being back several times we still weren't feeling too pampered and were a little cramped in the jaccuzi, so we were wondering what else was out there. We cancelled the rest of our four day reservation at the El, and decided to try The Nugget.

I called and asked for their NICEST room in the hotel with a spa. We were told it had a 3 person jacuzzi tub and large TV for a price of $185/night. I reserved it and we headed on over. We got to our room and it was like something out of an old western. Which wouldn't be bad except there were cigarette burns on the cheesy mauve velveteen bedspread, couch and chairs, water rings and scrapes on all the furniture. A 3 person tub? No way possible unless the 3 people were children! The large TV? 24 inches- woohoo! All of this was overlooking the railroad tracks and a very noisy wrecking crane. The A/C was broken and you couldn't open a window without a noisy wind-tunnel whistle going through the room. Huge Dissapointment. We sucked it up and went down stairs to gamble. We cashed a check and were treated rather rudely by the head cashier. The other cashier kindly gave us coupons for free cocktails. We ordered our Gold Margaritas at the bar, presented our free coupon and were charged an extra $3.00 per drink for Gold. (This is always free at the El Dorado with a coupon) This was the straw that broke our backs...we promptly checked out for a full refund, but no apology! NICEST room? YIKES! 2 hours at the Nuggett was enough for this girls lifetime.

I called the Silver Legacy and asked about their NICEST Jaccuzi suite. $129.99 I made the reservation and off we went. Long line at check in, but hey it was Thanksgiving week, so I understood. Checked in, room was nice, clean...but the tub was on the small side, and you really couldn't see the TV from the tub, so not the room for us. All in all, I thought it was nice, just nothing spectacular. One advantage I saw of this spa room over others was that the sofa actually made into a bed, so one could bring the kids and still have a spa. Something I haven't seen offered elsewhere.

We stayed the night at the SL, but decided to go beg for our other 2 nights back at the El Dorado. Estrellita at the front desk took the time to go over each and every spa suite floorplan with us and also got us our reservation rate back on a very busy weekend. We also spent some time talking with the very knowledgable bellhop, Tommy, who told us about more rooms, and even offered us a tour sometime when the hotel wasn't so busy. I think we have found the perfect floorplan for our get-aways.

If anyone else has any spa suites to recommend, I would love to read about them. (Especially at the Grand Sierra, where we will be in March for a convention.)

Thanks for listening! Cheers!
alison

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
Have you considered the Spa Suite at the Peppermill? The Spa can actually fit two people in it. You can view the rooms on the Peps site. You can actually see the tv from the tub as well. I will say though that the tv in their rooms are small. 19 or 20 inch. They will start remodeling their rooms near the end of this year. They will have plasma tvs!!! I have included a couple pics of the spa below.

Alison

stacey

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison, Thanks for the information and the pics. We will have to give them a try. If anyone finds out when the Peppermill is done with their remodel, please post it. Thanks.

On a side note,
Harrahs said the only jacuzzi tubs they have available, are located in the bathrooms.
alison

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remodel wont be done until sometime this fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: